Chicken is a high-protein staple in most people’s body transformation diets. But if you’ve not got a selection of delicious recipes to hand to mix things up, chicken can quickly lose its lustre. This Hasselback Chicken recipe is bursting with so much flavour that you’ll never want to go back to eating plain old chicken breast again. You can try lots of different fillings with your Hasselback chicken, but I’ve gone for an Italian-inspired combination of mozzarella, tomato, and basil for those clients of mine who were after something a little more authentic.
Give this recipe a try and enjoy a tender, succulent chicken breast that is stuffed with layers of flavour. Serves 2
- 2 free-range chicken breasts (approx 150g each)
- 80g mozzarella
- 2 round tomatoes
- 5g basil leaves
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp garlic granules (optional)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Trim your chicken breast of any fat, then slice diagonally across the breast at roughly 1cm intervals. Don’t cut all the way through, but just make small incisions big enough to fill with mozzarella or tomato slices.
- Slice your mozzarella ball into thin slices, and do the same with your round tomatoes.
- Season your sliced tomatoes and then insert them into each ‘pocket’ in the chicken breast.
- Do the same with the mozzarella slices.
- Sprinkle over your oregano and garlic powder, then season well with sea salt and black pepper.
- Finely shred the fresh basil and sprinkle on top.
- Pour over the lemon juice and then wrap both breasts in foil and bake for 25 minutes at 160C.
- Remove the foil and grill for 3-5 minutes to brown the melted mozzarella a little on top.
- Serve with a side salad and a portion of cauliflower ‘rice.’
Macros: (per Hasselback chicken portion)
Calories: 273.6 Carbs: 5.8g Fat: 9.2g Protein: 41.9g